How to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars

Body acne can be extremely embarrassing. I've been there. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with it anymore. My acne (including back acne) has completely cleared up after my Accutane course. However, I still wasn't able to wear backless tops and I felt extremely embarrassed wearing swimsuit, all because of the dark hyper-pigmentation all over my back (especially the shoulders.)

Still, after several  months my scars have improved tremendously thanks to an effective routine. I actually find it easier to get rid of back acne scars than to get rid of facial acne scars.

Without further ado, here is how I lightened and  improved my "back situation."
  • Protection: The most important step you have to take in order to get rid of back acne scars is to PREVENT THEM FROM GETTING DARKER!! I know you must be tempted to reveal some skin or go tanning on the beach, but the less you expose your back to the harmful sun rays the better. If you have to, just wear the highest SPF you can find.
  •  Exfoliation: Don't over do it! I use a Loofah or an exfoliating washcloth to scrub my back (and entire body) at least twice a week. The most effective exfoliant though is Baking Soda,  but don't use it more than three times a week.
  • Lightening: Protecting you scars from the sun prevents them from getting darker, and exfoliation will drastically lighten them in the long run. Still, you might not be able to get the results you want using only these two procedures, or at least your results won't be as drastic or as fast as you want. If your scars are really dark, I recommend you use a proper lightening cream that suits your skin. Hydroquinone is effective but it might not be what you need. There are plenty of skin-lightening products on the market. Choose the one you feel  is right for you.

If none of this works for you over a period of 3 months or so, just consult your dermatologist.